Whether a thought, perfectly executed, is indistinguishable from a universe.
PART ONE: INCIDENT 94
Chapter I
Phenomenon: The Recurrence Transformation: Integration
CALLUM AMARI: It’s happening again, isn't it? The glass on the edge of the table. The way the light refracts through the water. I’ve seen it fall a thousand times.
INES KESSLER: You always try to catch it. You always miss.
CALLUM AMARI: Not this time. I don't want to catch it anymore. I’m letting the loop collapse into me. Watch the glass. I’m not going to move my hand. I am going to let the shatter become a part of my own architecture.
INES KESSLER: It didn't break.
CALLUM AMARI: No. I absorbed the impact before it hit the floor. The cycle is closed.
Chapter II
Phenomenon: The Interval Transformation: Ascent
INES KESSLER: [Ruptured read] The space between the—[syntax error]—between the seconds is widening. I can see the margins of the room. The typeface of your voice, Callum. It’s thinning out.
CALLUM AMARI: Ines, where are you going? You're lifting off the floor.
INES KESSLER: [Ruptured read] I am stepping into the paragraph break. The gravity here is [null]. Up is just the next line of text. I’m not floating, I’m [reading ahead]. The ceiling is a blank page and I am bleeding through it.
Chapter III
Phenomenon: The Interval Transformation: Integration
CALLUM SOLHEIM: [Ruptured read] She left the gap open. The [omission] is dragging me in.
CALLUM AMARI: You look exactly like me. Who are you?
CALLUM SOLHEIM: [Ruptured read] I am the draft you discarded. The echo in the [parentheses]. But the Interval is hollow, and nature abhors a vacuum. I am not falling into the space she left behind. I am [compiling]. I am the pause. You read me as a delay, but I am the foundation. I am sinking into the code of the room.
Chapter IV
Phenomenon: The Convergence Transformation: Ascent
CALLUM AMARI: [Ruptured read] The two lines of my—[strikethrough]—my narrative are intersecting. Solheim is me, and I am the [merged file].
CALLUM SOLHEIM: We are stacking.
CALLUM AMARI: [Ruptured read] The ink is pulling upward. The coordinates are collapsing into a single point of data. I can feel the [ascent] pulling at the root of my spine. The ceiling isn't real anymore. It’s just the top of the screen. We are scrolling up. We are going to meet the others.
Chapter V
Phenomenon: The Release Transformation: Lateral drift Glitch: Virtual. Reality ruptures here.
CAPTAIN JACK LYNDON [REAL]: Let go of the yoke. We’re drifting starboard, but the stars are dead pixels.
JIMMY JUSTICE [REAL]: Jack, the instruments are gone. The console is just a flat texture mapping.
CAPTAIN JACK LYNDON [REAL]: Can you see the wireframe? The sky is rendering in polygons. We aren't flying anymore, Jimmy. We’re just sliding sideways across a glass screen. The tether just snapped. There is no gravity, no momentum. Just an infinite, horizontal glide through unrendered space.
Chapter VI
Phenomenon: The Convergence Transformation: Ascent Glitch: Autopoiesis. Reality ruptures here.
JIMMY JUSTICE [REAL]: I am writing the words I am speaking.
SALLY SOUTHPAW [REAL]: Jimmy, your voice is echoing before you open your mouth.
JIMMY JUSTICE [REAL]: As I say this, I create the lungs that push the air. I am generating the script that generates my mind. I am drawing myself upward by my own syntax. I speak Jimmy Justice into Jimmy Justice. The higher I pull myself, the more of me I invent to pull. The simulation is eating its own tail, and I am the teeth!
Chapter VII
Phenomenon: The Dissolution Transformation: Lateral drift
SALLY SOUTHPAW [REAL]: [Ruptured read] The edges are [static] washing out.
CAPTAIN JACK LYNDON [REAL]: Hold onto something, Sally. You're phasing out.
SALLY SOUTHPAW [REAL]: [Ruptured read] I’m stepping to the left, but the left is [unallocated space]. Read the blank space, Jack. Look past the letters. I am losing my [resolution]. I am becoming the white of the page. The drift is taking me into the margins. I am not dying. I am just being [erased].
Coda
CALLUM AMARI: Did any of it actually happen?
SALLY SOUTHPAW [REAL]: The glass fell. The ship drifted. We climbed the text.
CAPTAIN JACK LYNDON [REAL]: But were we ever really there? Were we breathing, or were we just rendered?
INES KESSLER: You're asking the wrong question.
JIMMY JUSTICE [REAL]: What is the right question?
CALLUM SOLHEIM: Whether the distinction between the real and the imagined ever existed in the first place. Whether a thought, perfectly executed, is indistinguishable from a universe.
Comments
Post a Comment